Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shout-outs!

I have more things to say other than "shout-outs." But, first of all, I have to give a shout out to KYLE BOWMAN who leaves me comments and doesn't even have a blogger website of his own. He just comes here to read my blog and leaves me love! Thank you!!!! Josh and I are excited that he and his wife Sarah will be moving to the farm in a couple of years or so, as they have 4 acres of their own land now and are planning to start a vineyard! Woottt wooot! (Yes....free wine for me!) They currently reside in San Antonio, Texas and are friends of Daniel and Kristin's. Both of the guys are in the Army there. Daniel is Josh's younger brother who is closest in age to him. Also, thanks to Kristin for always leaving me love--and posting blogs everyday! I love it! Thanks to Teresa as well and glad you're feeling better. I so would have gone to the orchard with you guys if I had more notice! I was not showered and in sweat pants when you stopped by on your way there. Last but not least, Aimee, my new blogger friend and big time Pike Valley Farm supporter, thanks for your love as well!

About a week ago I started really considering the thought of writing children's books. I took an aptitude test for a course at the Institute of Children's Literature. They guarantee that by the end of the course (if you're offered a chance at it) you will have a published manuscript! They also guarantee that if you're not completely satisfied once you're finished and have your diploma that you can get a complete refund of your tuition (which by the way is only $700). You work at your own pace, can take a leave of absence at any time, and work directly with a published children's author as your instructor. How cool is all of that? I think it's pretty awesome. So, the aptitude test was fun for me, and I had to write an essay that would appeal to kids. I eagerly awaited a response in the mail from this Institute and they said, "...,I'll add that your essay entitled "Rivers, Mountains, and Bears, Oh My!" impressed all of us. Your work was rated acceptable or higher in all of the test parts you completed, based on form and content, style, and your grasp of fundamentals." I was so excited to read this! What I was really looking for was acceptance and the say-so that I can do this, or that I'm capable of doing this. As much as I'd love to get the training from a published author, I don't think we're going to be able to pay for this course. Instead, now that I know someone out there is impressed with my work, I am going to try to self-teach myself the business of children's books and getting published. Wish me luck! And if this is something that interests you, I say go for it! The aptitude test is free and it's fun!

We did see that movie today, and it was good. I would wait until it comes out on DVD, though if I were you. I really want to see The Secret Life of Bees. No apple cider, it was dark by the time we got home...because we got dinner at TGIFriday's. I'm reheating my leftovers right now. Actually, I took one bite of my sandwich and realized I didn't want it because it was cold (I thought it was a hot sandwich). So, my sweet hubby gave me half of his baby back ribs and I loved 'em! Now we're watching movies at home that we rented from RedBox at McDonald's.

Jamie

No comments: